Two Young Playwrights Take On London

Cup of tea sitting beside a notebook
Out of the four young playwrights on the programme, two of us now happen to live in London and so our assignment to interview each other about how the programme is going so far felt like the perfect excuse for myself and Naomi to meet up in person! 

Naomi has just started her degree in Acting and Performance in London, and I’ve recently moved here as well so it was lovely catch up in person and chat about writing and how we’re finding the programme so far. 

EILIDH: What is a TV programme you watch when you’re procrastinating from writing?

NAOMI: A TV programme I watch when I’m procrastinating is Friends. It’s a programme I’ll watch from episode one to the very last series and then will just restart it again and never get bored. There’s always something new I notice each time watch it and I love all the characters. I personally think I would be a mixture of Phoebe and Monica.

EILIDH: What’s the biggest enemy you face when you write?

NAOMI: The biggest enemy I face is starting – unless something has sparked in my brain, and I just have to write about it. So, when that happens it often comes out of me as a monologue or some form of poetry, but it never comes out as scenes or ideas for plays which is annoying because that is ideally what I’d like to be writing more of. I always seem to get too in my head about whether I’m structuring what I’m writing in the right way, or if it’s realistic or coming across how I want it to. But sometimes I think you just need to write something and then figure all of those things out later, which I’m scared to do. 

EILIDH: How are you finding the programme so far?

NAOMI: I’m loving the programme. I really enjoy it and it’s always a nice part of my week. The workshops and gatherings always bring out a different side of my creative brain. Sometimes I feel like I don’t have enough time to prioritise it in the way I’d like to – especially now I’m at University! But overall, I’m definitely still enjoying it. It’s something I need to work on myself, creating a routine to get everything done to standard I’m happy with.

EILIDH: What time of day and in what environment are you most creative?

NAOMI: Either really early in the morning when no one else is awake and I’m drinking my first cup of coffee of the day. Or at night if I can’t sleep then I’ll just write whatever I’m feeling. Environment wise, probably at the kitchen table – especially in the morning. I find the ambience of all the kitchen noises really soothing. And in the evening just in my bed, where I’ll probably write in my journal or something like that. 

EILIDH: What’s your favourite writing snack?

NAOMI: My favourite snack while writing is a cup of tea – usually a fennel and aniseed one – with two dark chocolate digestive biscuits. Its been my writing snack for long as I can remember and I wouldn’t dream of having anything else.

Image of a person with a book on their lap

Eilidh Nurse
Eilidh is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2020-2021



Comments

Popular Posts