Livia's Final Blog of the Programme

What was your experience of theatre before you joined Young Playwrights?

Before I joined the YPP I had experience in a variety of areas of theatre. I had acted in a number of productions, and worked with Bunbury Banter, volunteering as a junior leader of their SYTG theatre group. I had devised many plays for different theatre activities, including in school. The only experience I have of actually writing a play was a short piece I co-wrote with a friend of mine for a school project. I have always really enjoyed theatre, but wanted to explore more crafts within theatre, outside of acting, which I was most familiar with. This led me to joining the YPP.

What part of Young Playwrights did you find particularly useful or inspiring?

The most inspiring thing for me is the fact that at the end of this process my work will be read by professional actors for of industry professionals. It can be a huge struggle for many playwrights to get their work in front of people, and this is an incredible opportunity for us, especially as we are just starting out.  , and to have had such a useful team steering me throughout.

How did you fit being part of Young Playwrights around the rest of your life?

It can be tricky to fit the Young Playwrights around the rest of my life, and this has been more of a task at some points in the year than others. Currently, I am also in development for a uni theatre project which is also taking place at the end of March, so I often have a lot on my mind. But I also find that these events coinciding can be incredibly stimulating, as even though they are entirely the different projects, my brain can be open and ready to work creatively as I am flexing those muscles constantly. I have also found that the co-writing sessions which Rosanna has been running have been a great help, as sometimes simply setting aside the time and dedicating it to working on my writing, with motivation from the other playwrights, has been really helpful.

How do you feel your work is different now from the way it was before you began the Young Playwrights Programme?

I think my work is different now because I am more open to taking risks and exploring new options. I also think the ideas Nicola Macartney spoke about in her workshop have really influenced my writing. She opened up the idea of asking yourself what is the game that your play is playing with the audience. I think this is a really interesting way to view your writing, and possibly one of the elements which can separate theatre work from other forms of media. This is definitely influential in shaping my piece and thinking about how it plays out. More generally, I also think my work is different in that it truly exists. I’ve always written snippets and chapters and scenes, but this project has really pushed me into creating something finished and whole, and redrafting and finessing it, which is something I have never properly worked on before. Writing one-liners or scenes or interesting images is one thing, but actually structuring and developing a whole piece is another, and that’s definitely an area I think I have improved in.

How do you think you can use the experience of the Young Playwrights Programme in the future?

I’m really interested in developing my writing in the future and seeing where it will take me. I have definitely learned skills in analysing stories and plays, as well as improving my own confidence in my own writing. Learning how to articulate your own creative ideas and how you feel in a creative space is an important skill that can be useful in any area.


Doing some “research” with my friend Amy ;)

                                                                                Livia Nicholson


Comments

Popular Posts