Naomi Says Goodbye to the Programme

What was your experience of theatre before you joined the programme?

Before I joined the programme, I’d say I was more focused on myself as an actor, I had been accepted to study acting at LSBU and writing was more of a hobby or something I did on the side. I have always loved writing such as poems and stories, but I didn’t get into playwrighting till around August 2020. I was having weekly sessions with my acting tutor, and I read her some writing I did for my Advanced Higher English class at school, pieces I read her were two contrasting essays about the good and bad parts of lockdown. We decided then that these needed to be turned into a play, we worked on it through school, other lockdowns, not knowing if anyone would ever see it. Eventually at the end of June 2021 Wee Yin, my one woman show, was performed at the Craigdarroch Arms in Moniaive. The feedback I received from the audience was one of the main reasons I knew that writing plays and scripts was something I had to continue doing. 

What did you get out of working with other Young Playwrights?

I think during the process I was always comforted by the fact I was never alone, I wasn’t doing it by myself. Often, during gatherings we’d chat about how we were getting on, and I’d learn that some of us had had similar experiences or worries. This always assured me that what I was feeling was completely valid. Something that I will always be grateful for is the new friends I’ve made in the programme, especially when moving to London I didn’t know anyone. When I found out Eilidh was moving down too it gave me such ease knowing that we’d be in the same place.

Did you struggle at any point?

There have definitely been several occasions in my first semester of university where I haven’t felt my best whether that be due to homesickness or physical health, it’s the kind of thing you expect from your first time living alone and having to fully look after yourself. Before university I was very rarely ill, so coming to uni and being ill quite often is something I’ve found very difficult and frustrating. I think most recently the way I’ve described it is a waste of time. Saying that, the team at BunBanter have always been so supportive when it came to deadlines and allowing me time to catch up, I always have a fear of letting people down and not doing my best, but I’ve felt very reassured during the programme.

How much more do you think about theatre now than you did before the Young Playwrights Programme?

After having so many amazing workshops with playwrights and different people from the industry, when watching plays now or even listening to my lectures I find myself being reminded of different things I learnt from the workshops. Sometimes its structural and I’ll notice once a play is over, or during lectures we’ll cover different techniques which I already know a but about. I’ve found this to be very useful because I feel like I have a wider outlook on what we are doing or what I’m watching.

Do you hope to work in theatre in the future? 

I have wanted to work in theatre for a long time, but now after the programme I have a clearer idea of what I am interested in. Acting was my first love and it definitely remains at the top, in terms of writing I think I’ve realised I really like being in control of a lot of aspects outside of the dialogue. Something I’d like to explore that with next may be in film, I have a few ideas for short films, and I think the skills I’ve gained on the programme would be very useful. I will definitely continue playwriting and try sending my work for feedback, I’ve finally been convinced to send my first play, which we are currently making into a film, to the Edinburgh Fringe so, fingers crossed.

Is there anyone in particular you would like to thank?

Everyone that has been involved in the programme has been so amazing and inspiring, I feel so grateful to have worked with each of them. In particular I would like to thank Rosanna, when she joined the programme, I felt very drawn to her as a person, she has such a calming energy and I think it really helped with my sort of manic personality. She always left me feeling inspired and excited to keep writing.

Naomi Watson

Comments

Popular Posts