Tea, monologues and feeling inspired! Liv sits down with Erin for a Catch-Up


Eye looking into a broken mirror
Hi there, it’s Livia here!

For this month’s blog, we were all tasked with interviewing one of the other Young Playwrights about their experience on the programme, and how their writing has developed this far. I was working with Erin, and we had a lovely chat, which I’m sure you’ll love to read about below!

Courtesy of: LAURI ROTKO/GETTY IMAGES via howstuffworks.com (https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-is-it-bad-luck-to-break-mirror.htm)

LIVIA: Have you surprised yourself in your writing development?

ERIN: Yes, actually. I surprise myself when I’m using the techniques, we’ve been taught even without planning on it. I don’t go into writing something like “okay I’m going to use the structural techniques we learnt with May”, but I get into writing something and just find myself doing it anyway. It’s really surprising how so much of what I’ve learned has made its way into my subconscious and I’m using it without even thinking!

LIVIA: What's something that's inspired you? From the programme? In general?

ERIN: One thing that’s really inspiring to me is the group of people I get to work with. I think it’s empowering that we are all four young women embarking on this together. And we all have complimenting personalities so it creates a safe environment to express all our thoughts, ideas and opinions, without being apologetic about it. We all just get each other, and that’s really inspiring to work within because we all feel like everyone is on our side.

Also, I think every single playwright has been a huge inspiration to us. They always come to our workshops with such insights, and they are so supportive in always telling us we have potential and talent as writers. It makes it more than a lecture or just a lesson, because they’re working directly with us to inspire and help us.

LIVIA: What's your favourite writing snack?

ERIN: If I was trying to be super healthy or fit into someone’s writing Pinterest board, I’d probably say something like sliced apple with peanut butter. But in reality, it’s more like a jar of Nutella with a spoon, that’s where I’m really at. Oh, and a cup of tea is mandatory!

Picture of blueberries on toast

Courtesy of: hy-vee.com (https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/peanut-butter-blueberry-sandwich)

LIVIA: What time of day, what environment are you the most creative?

ERIN: I get most of my ideas when I’m lying in bed trying to go to sleep – my brain just does everything to keep me awake! In terms of writing, it’s weirdly specific – usually the weekend at about 4pm. It’s just a little timeslot between when I’m going out and doing things, where I can usually get a lot done creatively.

LIVIA: Do you have any writing pet peeves?

ERIN: Something that really gets on my nerves is incorrect capitalisation. Lowercase ‘I’s, for instance, genuinely make me cringe. In terms of my own writing, I’ve noticed I can be really repetitive with certain words. I always say “really” and “truly” and “adore”. “Adore” is my word. I guess I must adore a lot of things!

LIVIA: What's a TV programme you watch when you're procrastinating?

ERIN: I’m not really a TV show person, more of a movie person. I really like period dramas, like Jane Eyre. I don’t really pay attention that much, but it makes me happy to have them on in the background.

LIVIA: What's the biggest enemy for you when you write?

ERIN: When I’ve been focusing on a particular style or task, that’s all I can write about until I’ve got it out of my system. We wrote monologues a couple months ago, and now I find myself struggling to write dialogue, because I’m sort of stuck in monologue mode.

I guess my other enemy is probably time. I’ve got a lot going on at the moment, and it can be hard to find time when I’m ready to write. Not just an hour to squeeze in somewhere, but time when I really have the headspace to be creative.

LIVIA: How are you finding the programme?

ERIN: It’s one of the few things that I do with my time that’s only for me. It’s very different to everything else I’ve got going on at the moment. And I love that I’m doing it with a group of incredible people. I’ve been learning a heck of a lot. I’m really proud that I’m doing it, despite life being a bit crazy right now. It is tough, and a challenge. But it’s a good challenge, and I’m not tempted to back down.

LIVIA: As a little twist on the images for this month’s blog, I’ve also included some photos Erin sent me which she said were inspiring for one of her most recent writing pieces. I think it’s a very interesting little insight into her mindset when she’s writing things, and I have to say I’m very intrigued!

It was really lovely to speak with Erin, and hear more about how she’s developing as a writer. Her passion and drive are really apparent, and were really inspiring to me when talking to her. I hope you enjoyed reading this month’s blog! 😊

Livia Nicholson
Livia is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2020-2021


Comments

Popular Posts