A Story is Never Finished

A writer’s worst enemy…the ending. 

A writer’s most trustworthy companion…the ending.

The final lines can make or break a script. Do I leave them wondering, questioning and marvelling at the universe around them or simply satisfy their desire to know. To know what happens, do they live or die?

Throughout the Young Playwrights Programme I have adventured on my own personal story – my own piece of theatre almost. One where Jill Watson was the protagonist, assisted along the winding road of play writing by a handful of fellow companions striving for the same destination. My journey has been suffused with obstacles to challenge my perception and skill, but most importantly shape my play writing qualities. These obstacles came in the form of deadlines, criticism and most significantly veering away from my gut instinct. Not only did I overcome these obstacles, but I morphed in to a more confident, resilient and determined young playwright because of them. My story’s stakes may not have been the highest to an onlooker, but to me the twists and turns of the programme meant a lot to me. Along my way, I had the pleasure of meeting many more inspiring characters from published playwrights to enthusiastic actors. Not forgetting the wonderful Ali, of Bunbury Banter, taking the shape of my fairy godmother and granting my wish to grow and develop, not only my play but myself. All of which made my adventure one to cherish.



As my journey is nearing its bittersweet destination, I cannot help but reflect on my beginning. In my debut blog I admitted that I wanted to “achieve a greater overall knowledge of the world of theatre” and push myself to “step outside my comfort zone.” Both of which, I believe I have achieved. Bunbury Banter have exceeded my expectations and gave me some memories I will value throughout my life. The programme as a whole gave me access to a vast array of written and live plays, gifted me the opportunity to learn from some amazing playwrights, who I will forever be in awe of, and even work closely with industry professionals in developing my own pieces. I came in to this programme with a focus on tackling social issues connected to myself, such as gender equality, however the further I adventured, the more I found myself being fascinated by the current pandemic situation around us.


For my final script, I was adamant on using the harrowing positives of the Coronavirus pandemic to create a persuasive and intimate piece with the idea to allow the audience to come to terms with the situation currently unfolding around us and even beginning to appreciate some aspects of it. Throughout my blogs, I have showed my continued support on focussing on the positives of Covid-19 and I used this passion to my advantage to create a script in which I am proud of.  I was able to work with two incredible actors - David Kirkwood and Pauline Lockhart – through zoom development sessions as well as nervously (but proudly) hearing my hard work being read aloud to an industry audience. The anxious relief of this moment was definitely a highlight of my experience in the programme.

There have been many magical moments throughout my journey, which I will forever look back on and cherish. My story with the programme has been fantastic and that could not have been possible without all the hard work of Bunbury Banter, the guest playwrights and actors and my fellow young people.

This might by the end of my own story with the Bunbury Banter Young Playwright Programme, but it certainly will not be the end of my journey with theatre.

My play writing story may be approaching a pause, but it has a long time before it takes it’s final bow…

Signing off,

Jill Watson

 

  Jill Watson

Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts