Fantastically Real Words

 Hello everyone, I’m back again to tell you all about my time since my last blog. It’s been a relatively simple time since the last blog, that’s just the truth. The biggest things, when it comes to my playwriting,  that have happened are the Mariem Omari Workshop and the meeting about what my final piece for this whole project could be. But other than that it’s just been relatively peaceful, I’ve had a few more down days than usual but I think I’m out of that now. My sleep schedule has definitely improved, I’m not up until stupid times in the morning writing, however I’m still often up late-ish and writing, but more on that later.

So first, Mariam’s verbatim workshop. It was one of the best that I’ve had actually, and that’s because I really do have a large interest in doing a verbatim piece myself. I’ve talked about it before and I have this huge wonder but different faiths and what they mean to people, and not only religious faith but just the concept of faith in general, how it can be interpreted differently by everyone. So Mariem’s workshop was so helpful in getting more information on the proper and legal way to go about interviewing people to use their words in a piece. It was also just super great to meet another very charismatic playwright, that’s something I’ve noticed with all the playwright’s we’ve met, none of them were scared to talk and that’s a weirdly impressive to me, I think it’s probably because I’ve never actually met any before this, they’ve always been hidden behind their names and so I guess I don’t normally think of them having a voice but to be able to see them and hear them is a very impressive sight and not a unique thing to me but still a very rare experience that I’ve got a chance to be a part of.

Next to kind of combine things, I had a meeting recently with Ali about how things have to be going, to go over feedback over a past couple exercises we’ve worked on and potentially what my final piece could be. But before we talked about that, I was asked about my process of coming up with ideas and writing. I talked about how I tend to come up with fantastical idea and then I ground them to earth a bit more, and then it was brought up to me that ideas can have a fantastical nature to them. So from that I’ve been practicing with writing more pieces based like that, things I haven’t shared but having started to bring me to ideas I feel I can write about. I can write about relatively normal things but I feel more comfortable writing about a bit weirder things which I suppose makes them normal things to me.

That’s it, like I said peaceful and simple. I’ve enjoyed the very busy nature of the project so far but now that we’re getting into our final pieces, we’re able to go at more our own paces and for me, that’s slowly, peaceful and simple. I’m going to put on some music and just get to writing, and see what I can come up with in my own way.

Andrew Birch

Andrew is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts