A Month of Milestones

Milestones.

What is a milestone to you? 

The miracle of new birth…the harmonious bond between two families through love…the sombre passing of a precious life.

I presume this is what the majority of you associate with the word and if I’m honest with myself, so did I…until now. Throughout the period in which Covid-19 has attacked our world, my eyes have been opened to a new appreciation for life-the surroundings, the opportunities and the people around us. The definition of ‘milestone’ states that they are ‘not goals’ and cannot be ‘achieved.’ Although, I find myself forcefully disagreeing! A milestone to me is any event, minuscule or massive, which shapes and moulds you as a person and we should all be explosively proud of ourselves for reaching each individual one.

As a teenage girl, these years are vital for sculpting my future as well as maturing into the woman I will proudly be, resulting in my past month being wadded with minor milestones. I received my first ever SQA certificated exam results, I returned back to the strange environment of school, I’ve been reunited and I’ve said ‘goodbye for now’ to my closest friends and family. All of which, have been celebrated with lavish meals and pure happiness. 

However, let’s not forget the smaller milestones in which we’ve all shared over the past month. 

At some time, we have peeled ourselves out of bed, we have unintentionally made a joke that made someone laugh and we have smiled. These milestones have all enhanced my confidence, resilience and sentimentality in differing ways, but not one more significantly than the other. So to you, from me - well done for persevering and surviving through the tough month of August!

My next upcoming milestone is the progression of my final production as part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwright’s Programme. Reflecting back at the timid girl I was when I started the programme, highlights how effectively it has pushed me outside my comfort zone and how I have progressed. I’m extremely proud to say that for my final piece I will be tackling our unconscious judgement and perceptions we form when living in a time of crisis.

I am looking forward to exploring this theme and again reaching the most satisfying of milestones - the first draft.


Jill Watson

Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts