One Hundred Introductions

Hello…

Hiya…

Awrite?

Bonjour…

Howdy …

Hola …

Guten Tag…


There are one million ways to say hello to someone. Yet, somehow when the inevitable occurs we are muted. Introductions are the most dreaded form of communication in modern life.


A follow on Instagram…

A friend request on Facebook…

Someone’s added you on Snapchat?!


That is simple for us. One minute click of a button makes it easy to start a conversation. Although, when our screens are ripped from us, what human connection do we really have left?

Over the month of July, I have been subject to a lot of introductions. Every one unique in its own way, like us…human beings. I have had virtual handshakes, high fives and long awaited hugs. It is important for us to remember that after the first inescapable dose of awkwardness and self doubt, many experiences of joy and togetherness are created.

The people I have met throughout this time, whether they be new or a reunited acquaintance, have opened up and let me be part of their family. July, for me, has been full of memories which truly, in the most cliché of ways, will stay with me forever. I spent a cosy camping night, cuddled up by a roaring fire in the valleys of Sanquhar, some socially-distanced boogies and even learned how to ride a Segway. 


 As you look at these photos, you may be admiring the sheer beauty of the rippling sea views, the glorious weather or even possibly how lucky I am. Well…I would agree, but I am lucky solely due to the incredible people I got to spend my time with.

Another incredible person who I  had the honour of being introduced to, in June and July was Mariem Omari-a verbatim theatre legend. The Young Playwrights and I were encapsulated in the workshop as we discussed the effectiveness of verbatim and how it can portray a poignant moment of life to the audience. The workshop really sharpened my knowledge of the power behind the spoken word. On average, humans speak 860,341,500 words in their life time and in my opinion, every single one is a piece of art. Whether it is a hesitation…ehhhh, a pause…or a simple ‘hello,’ it could change our narrative. The narrative of our lives.

After the workshop, I pursued one of my previous creative light bulbs by interviewing one of my closest family members-my Gran. This exercise really allowed me to listen. Whatever your primary teachers may say, listening is not easy. I listened to her tone, her phrasing, her hesitations. I watched her fidgets, her expressions, her shakes. And from this, I entered the world of verbatim theatre.

July has also brought me the opportunity to share a piece of work with my fellow young playwrights. People who I was introduced to not even one year ago were suddenly having a say on my personal thoughts, work process and outcome. The thought of this fills me with fear, however the experience was not nerve racking at all. This is because we were all equal and I trusted them. My first stumble through introductions of ‘Hello, my name is…’ or ‘I want to be part of the programme because…’ didn’t matter now. The honest feedback which I received was remarkable. I am still currently using every point to my advantage in developing my writing.

Throughout the pandemic, I can’t count the amount of times I have heard the phrase ‘light at the end of the tunnel.’ Yet, I’ve never really known the true meaning of it until now…Now I have experienced this, I think I can truly say that July has been my light through the never ending tunnel of Covid-19.


Jill Watson

Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts