A Vaccine of Generosity

It’s 2020 and we find ourselves in a society of panic, anxiety and disease. To put it lightly, it’s not quite the 2020 in which we all expected to be memorably filled with cheer and unity. However from my experience, it has been a year filled with kindness-the purest form of medicine. 

Understandably, everyone around the globe is focused on finding a vaccine. A vaccine to end the despair and bring back our under appreciated ‘normal’ lives. I’m 16. I’m a student. I’m a young woman still learning how to take on the world and make a difference for our generation. So, to me the idea of personally finding a vaccine is impossible. I’ll leave that up to the talented professors and scientists around our world! The more realistic role I have chosen to take on is distributing shots of generosity around my family and close community. I believe that there is no purer and more effective cure for disaster than small acts of generosity. 

You may not be able to help all 7.594 billion people inhabiting our earth, but you can help 1. Personally, I live in a small rural village in a very open and community-spirited Street. Almost like a large family who have each other’s backs at all costs. Even in the most difficult of times, we smile and yap, bringing some well needed sunshine into each other’s day. We pull together and somehow, it all just works. That is the spirit in which we need to survive the COVID-19 pandemic. Throughout the prolonged weeks of lockdown, our neighbours have been kindly sharing delectable baking experiments and even serenading the street with musical performances from the decades. Yes, it is that simple. That is all it takes. One slice of cake...one tune on the guitar...to make someone’s day. So far we have devoured and delivered cream horns, Victoria sponge, Nutella cheesecake, muffins and even good Scottish shortbread. It seems we are all embracing our inner Mary Berry’s to bring a smile to our friends and neighbours. 



As part of Bunbury Banter’s Playwrights Programme in the year so far, I have also experienced the strongest forms of generosity through the form of theatre. We virtually meet weekly to discuss and compare views on all media’s of theatre making, developing our own ideas as well as confidence. Everyone puts aside time for each other in the group each week. A flavour of consistency in a world of uncertainty. We have been lucky enough to recently take part in a workshop with Douglas Maxwell, an inspiration to any aspiring playwright. His generosity came delivered to us in the form of a motivating and uplifting workshop filled with intriguing questions, themes and words of wisdom. I have taken a lot out of this workshop. So much so, I have began to fuse together my daily life with the world of theatre. This has allowed me to embrace my surroundings, using them to my advantage in encouraging others to do the same. 


Last month, each playwright has also been working closely and intensely with an experienced script reader with the intention of developing our own monologue. This has been an extremely enlightening experience which has developed my own confidence. The success of the developments are thanks to Alexandros Balamotis and his generosity towards my playwrighting journey. 


Jill Watson


Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020


Comments

Popular Posts