All the Little Things

Funny isn’t it, how you don’t recognise the importance of something until it’s no longer there.

I think it would be fair to say we have all been feeling rather like that lately, with Lockdown, phased restrictions and lives turned upside down by an invisible virus. We find ourselves missing things that previously, we took for granted, like being able to brush past someone in the street or stop for a chat in Tesco’s when doing are weekly shop.

But I find myself missing more, missing smaller but now, far more significant things. The way my grandparents’ glasses change colour in the sunlight, the way my friend gasps for breath when she can’t stop laughing, the sound my colleague’s, the sight of sunlight streaming in through the Church’s stain glassed windows…None of these things are what I would have expected to miss going into lockdown, but now somehow, these previously insignificant details of day to day life are what I miss most.

It was during a workshop with Douglas Maxwell that the importance of all the little things really came into focus.

As a very visual learner, I work best when presented with images that I can garner information from. As part of Douglas’ workshop, we analysed a series of black and white images to see what information we could learn about the people who were in them. Everything that we could tell about these individuals was found in the small details, the little things. All the tiny, minute differences between the way they stood, the way they smiled or didn’t and the direction of their focus told us something about them as a person making the picture come to life and their story seam more real, more human.

Douglas Maxwell - workshop images
And that’s when it hit me. It’s only right that we miss the little things, because it is these minute ideocracies that make us who we are. Never was a truer word spoken than the quote ‘the devil is in the detail.’

As I continue on my playwriting journey, I will endeavour to show off these little things that make us, us and hopefully through my writing, I will be able to make us all feel a little more human in amongst the chaos that is life!

Lauren Asher

Lauren is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts