A World of Wonders

It’s true. We never fully appreciate something until it is gone. Although, I am a positive thinker and in my opinion we never fully appreciate the beauty surrounding us until it is all we can see.

Whilst I am writing this, I am sitting in my garden, ambushed by the tuneful chirp of the birds in the trees and soaking myself in the heat of the mid day sun. It is important to acknowledge that I have never appreciated this feeling of tranquility as much as I do now. 

As we all know, due to coronavirus our recent days have been spent within the same four walls, full of fret or fear and treasuring our one helping of daily exercise. The country has halted in a desperate attempt to tackle the virus. We are surrounded every second of the day with sombre news reports and strict guideline advertisements. It is impossible to even listen to music without it being interrupted by inspiring words from the leaders of our country in order to keep the country safe. COVID-19 has split families apart, taken loved ones and disrupted our usual routines. Whilst teenagers are missing out on sitting their SQA exams, people of all ages are being forced to work from home or even have lost their jobs. Everyone has a different experience. However, one thing we all have in common is our daily exercise routine. 

Exercise, during this difficult time, has brought communities and nations together. I have taken part in the #RunForHeroes 5K and found it incredibly liberating. Exercise, whether it be running, walking, cycling or any other form is giving us a small piece of normality throughout these changing times and I believe it is important to use this time to fully appreciate the wonders and wildlife around us. 

During my wanders I have found myself becoming fonder of my surroundings that COVID-19 have brought to my attention. Personally, I live in a small rural village called Kirkconnel. I have lived here, in the same house, my whole life but it has become evident that previously I have never taken time to immerse myself in the entwining branches, the lush grass dancing in the breeze and the calm waters which make up my home. Most days I have been adventuring through the different routes of these valleys and it is here that I have felt most peaceful. Most at home. My head has been flooded with stories of the past times of Kirkconnel, the mining village, in which the closest members of my family have experienced. 

It has become clear that the coronavirus has in fact made me fully appreciate the beauty around me. I feel extremely lucky to be safe and living in such a hidden gem in the countryside. 

Last month, the other Young Playwright’s and I were lucky enough to spend the afternoon on a zoom workshop with Morna Young. It was a pleasure to spend the afternoon with such an amazing group of people and hear some of the tips and tricks from Morna which is enhancing my characterisation throughout my writing already. The workshop was fascinating and particularly spoke to me personally, helping to develop my use of language and location in my writing. During the workshop we focussed on our own individual accents and I again began to realise the individuality and character of Kirkconnel as a place. I am using my time in isolation to experiment with my local dialect and have began to contemplate the idea of portraying the true lifestyle of a small village, on a stage. 

I hope this has shone a light on the beauty which we are all surrounded by and inspired everyone to get outdoors and embrace nature on our daily exercise.  

Choose to fight the negativity with creativity! 

Jill Watson

Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts