Bold Image, Big Problem

We’ve all had it. Writer’s block. It is an experience of frustration and struggle in which we all share. When the pen is ready to begin it’s journey across the page but your brain just doesn’t feel quite connected to the message in which you are trying to convey. 

When attending the first workshop of the program last month with the inspiring playwright Oliver Emanuel we were asked our opinion on how to spark up an idea for a play which would capture the mind and imagination of a wide audience. This is the stage in which many aspiring writers, like me, feel trapped and stuck in their mind, wrestling with ideas and inspiration. 

Oliver’s antidote to this struggle was a process called “bold image and big problem.” This is the process in which a writer takes a bold image from their imagination and a big problem whether it be fiction or from a recent newspaper article and join them together. 

It was from this discussion in which I realised that this idea is in fact transferable and could clarify my true aim for this program. 

My bold image in which I wish to achieve by the end of this experience is a chorus of cheer and applause. When pondering how my audience will react to the performance of my final piece all I can see is one clear picture. A sea of pleasantly surprised bodies from the audience rising to their feet to applause my hard work. Eyebrows arching with surprise and eyes wide with shock. I want to feel the audience’s enjoyment and pride in the success of my final performance. 

Meanwhile, my big problem as part of this program is my confidence. Although I am a confident person, there is a vulnerability in sharing your writing and opening your imagination to an audience of industry professionals who I am not familiar with. I am already feeling more comfortable as part of the group along side other inspiring young people and gradually breaking down these walls holding me back from my full potential. This confidence will soon be in full show. 

This month I also traveled on a holiday with my friends and family to Auchenlairie. This is a place in which triggered my imagination. The remoteness, the peacefulness. It was haunting but comforting all wrapped up in one. I will consider this setting for my future work.    


Jill Watson

Jill is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020


Comments

Popular Posts