Looking Into The Year Ahead



Any new year generally comes with it a sense of “this year I will get shit done”, “this is going to be the year I become the person I want to be”. Usually this is followed by a few minor commitments to change in January followed by a swift return to old habits and familiar self-confidence issues. It would be nice to think that this time, 2020, really will be the year that breaks the mold for me. There is genuine potential this could be a fabulous new year and I don’t want to tarnish that opportunity.

My New Years
As someone who approaches life with a little too much caution, it is nice to be feeling optimistic about my year ahead. If everything follows the plan, this time next year I will be a graduate from Kings College London, who has produced a play and has become TEFL Qualified and is preparing to move to Asia.

All of these goals are realistic, I just need to find the motivation to follow through on what I am capable of. For me, part of ensuring that I commit to my full potential is the new years resolution to start writing more. I feel it will develop an important skill within me but will also allow me to find the clarity of thought I crave.


I am really looking forward to writing and producing my play in 2020. I have had the idea in my head and already feel very attached to the two characters. My play is about the social anxiety surrounding dating (largely) and it will be nice to finally feel there was a purpose to some of the awkward dates I have sat through. It would be nice if it could resonate with the introverted. What I really want my play to achieve is realistic dialogue. To do this in 2020 I have to research what plays achieve that well and read them/watch them. So far my experience of theatre in London has been fairly mainstream (and brilliant) but I think I would get a lot from branching into alternative territory.

The best west end play  I have ever seen (and a play that certainly resonates with the introverted) is “The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time” (although I am seeing Dear Evan Hansen in February and I have a feeling that might become my new number one). It is an adaption of the popular book which was also brilliant. 

Something the play does exceptionally well is it articulates the sensory stresses of being on the autistic spectrum. I’ve never seen such a perfect visual example of feeling overwhelmed and out of control. Something this play taught me was that art done well always proves to simultaneously be an education as well as entertainment. That is one of my big draws to becoming a writer. When you tell you one person’s story you are telling parts of thousands of people’s story and when you do that you help people connect with a part of themselves and others. 

Another play I saw in December was “School of Rock” with my two best pals. That was a lot of fun- I wish I was a fifth as talented as those kids.

In January 2020 I am going to see Waitress (again) for my birthday. I chose this because the writer of the soundtrack Sara Barielles is coming to London to perform the lead role for 6 weeks. I am a big fan of her and already know I love the musical so this is a win win for me. Also, my cousins are coming down and we are seeing the Book of Mormon. I am super excited already.

Kate Barr

Kate is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020

Comments

Popular Posts