Eilidh's Final Interview

Why did you decide to join the Young Playwrights Programme?

I decided to join the Young Playwrights Programme as throughout the pandemic I had been feeling very lost creatively and also very uninspired. 

I have been writing for a few years now and have one finished full-length play and had written some shorter works in progress. My full-length play is called Miles and explores the dynamics of rural life and friendships from the setting of a struggling caravan park. I was also freelancing throughout late 2020 and the first half of 2021, so I had free time that I wanted to channel into my writing which had come to a bit of a standstill since finishing my first play. 

I was sent the advert for the Young Playwrights Programme by a connection at the Wigtown Book Festival who knew that I wrote plays, and it felt like a complete no-brainer to apply. I wanted to write another play, and so signing up for a programme that provided such consistency, support, and time to write felt like a real gift. 

Since signing up for the programme, my circumstances have changed quite drastically – I now live in London and work full time at the National Theatre as New Work Assistant, however because of the Young Playwright Programme I feel like I’ve gotten back into the habit of making time for my own writing again. 

Before beginning the programme, a goal of mine was to write another play, and I feel like I’m coming away from the programme with a new idea and a new drive.

What part of the Young Playwrights Programme did you find particularly useful?

Amongst lots of other things – including the consistency and structure – I found the workshops we had with professional playwrights to be the most inspiring and useful part. 

I got to meet some massive inspirations of mine, including Stef Smith and Douglas Maxwell, and the workshop sessions were filled with such valuable, useful insights. 

Each workshop was totally unique and because of the small number of us on the programme, each session felt intimate and personal. We learnt about a range of things – from technical aspects of writing to the bigger picture stuff of finding ideas and honing our voices. 

Alongside the workshops, I also found the support of the other Young Writers incredibly useful and encouraging. The space that they and the Bunbury Banter team created was endlessly kind and supportive, and I’m very grateful for that. 

What do you plan to do following this experience? 

The Young Playwrights Programme has really flown by, and it has also seen a lot of changes in my personal life and my attitude as a writer. I’m excited to carry on in my new full-time job and I plan to continue working on the script I have developed for the final sharing in my spare time. I plan to (hopefully!) develop this into a new full-length play. 

I’ve found myself feeling more disciplined and creative as a writer, and I credit the Programme with this. 

I feel like I’ve been gathering up such useful techniques, ideas and connections over the last year, and I’m excited to carry all of them with me on to whatever I do next. 

Eilidh Nurse

Comments

Popular Posts