Eilidh's 2021 Highlights

Picture of a room with christmas decorations. The room looks very cosy.

I really can’t believe that we are midway through December already. And I also can’t believe that we are nearing the end of 2021! For me, this year has completely flown by. It’s been filled with lockdowns, a few big life changes, and also a lot of plays and theatre. Because it has all gone by so fast, I wanted to look back on the plays I have read and the theatre I’ve seen this year, and share some of my highlights. 


The Plays:

These are some of my top picks of the plays I’ve read this year – some I read as part of the Bunbury Banter programme and a few I read outside of Bunbury Banter as well. I would recommend all of them below, and they might even make a good Christmas gift for a theatre fan/budding writer in your life!

1. Mayfly by Joe White

Mayfly is about a family trying to reconcile their grief after a tragedy, and how they try to rebuild and move forwards together. I found the humour and beauty of this play so unexpected. Genuinely very funny and very moving. 

2. Meet Me At Dawn by Zinnie Harris

This play is so lyrical and powerful and beautiful. Would highly recommend it as an introduction to Zinnie Harris’s writing. 

3. Swallow by Stef Smith

I first saw a production of Swallow at the National Student Drama Festival in 2017, and this year I finally read the play as well. A completely moving and absorbing exploration of the lives of three different people, the demons they are battling and how their lives intersect. 

4. The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh 

I’ve wanted to read some Martin McDonagh for a while and I initially thought I may not like this play as (incredibly) dark humour isn’t really up my street. I loved this though. It’s very dark but also very funny and profound. 

5. Shedding A Skin by Amanda Wilkin 

Shedding A Skin is about a young woman struggling with life, who happens to become a lodger for an older woman who eventually becomes a friend. A beautiful, life-affirming play. A lovely read for a grey December/January day. 

The Shows:

Here are 5 of the top shows that I’ve seen this year as well. 

Come From Away at the Phoenix Theatre

An invigorating, beautiful, funny, life-affirming treat of a musical. I didn’t know anything about the musical before seeing it and it surpassed any and all expectations I might have had. 

Camp Siegfried at The Old Vic

This is a deft, funny and powerful look at teenage love, and also explores the way that dangerous ideologies can be so easily absorbed by people. 

Amélie at the Criterion Theatre

This is one of my favourite musicals, and I would recommend it to everyone! The UK cast recording is so brilliant.

The Normal Heart at the National Theatre

A beautiful, powerful play. I rarely cry at the theatre for some reason (even if I’m very moved), but I really cried at this. 

The Last Five Years at the Garrick Theatre

Another of my favourite musicals! So smart, funny and heartbreaking. 

Bonus recommendation – Pride and Prejudice (Sort Of) at the Criterion Theatre 

I loved seeing this Scottish play be so loved and well-received in London. It is Fun with a capital F and has a brilliant cast. 

I can’t wait for the Christmas break – to do a lot of eating and a lot or resting. Overall, I’m looking forward to saying goodbye to 2021 and starting a new year with a clean slate and lots of possibilities ahead. I’m excited to think of the theatre I might see in 2022, the plays I might read and – perhaps most importantly – the writing I will hopefully do myself! 

I hope you have a really lovely Christmas. 

Picture of 2022 made using gold candles.

Eilidh Nurse
Eilidh is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2020-2021







Comments

Popular Posts