Young Playwright Interviews: Jill Watson

 

As the curtain is about to fall on this year’s Young Playwrights Programme, we interviewed the participants to find out about their experience of the programme and what they plan to do next. 

First, let’s hear from Jill Watson.


Why are you drawn to the theatre?

 I’ve always been a fond supporter of the arts – theatre in particular – and will continue to be for the entirety of my life. There is nothing else in the whole planet that comes close to the experience of theatre. It’s like a pleasant attack towards the senses. The grand auditorium, the scent of the popcorn, the sudden spotlights, the overwhelming sounds, but most of all…the words. There is such access to the cast throughout their performance, a door to escapism is thrown open. Whilst in the theatre I found myself in a world consisting of only the action and I. It was in this intriguing space, that I started to forget about the world beyond the exit doors – danger, worry, anxiety, vulnerability. Here, surrounded by a bunch of strangers, we were connected. Almost like some sort of secret society in which I wanted to remain.


Why did you decide to join the Young Playwrights Programme?

If I’m completely honest, it was almost an accident. An incredibly lucky accident. I didn’t go out looking for it in anyway, but after expressing a deep connection and interest in a theatrical future, my inspiring drama teacher pointed me in the right direction. I didn’t, in the least, expect my application to go any further in the process. Except here I am, almost one year on, gaining more theatrical and playwriting experience with every day.

My aim for my progression in the programme was to use it as a platform to not only further my writing skills by pushing myself rather vulnerably outside my comfort zone, but to act as a megaphone for the people too anxious to share their incredible stories.



What did you get out of working with the other playwrights?
 

What an amazing group of people! Each individual is completely unique and inspiring. By connecting with my fellow young playwrights – even if it was over Zoom – the act of sharing your personal writing creates a bond which is inexplicable. I have learned that everyone has a story to tell. You may think yours is rather dull, but to someone else that story is abstract and absurdly marvellous. ALWAYS tell your story.


What do you think were the benefits of having this programme here on your doorstep?

I think the location of the Young Playwrights Programme created a common experience in all of the young playwrights. Although we all have individual accents and local communities, it was a chance for us to introduce Dumfries and Galloway to the world of theatre. Dumfries and Galloway have scrolls of strong stories perfect for the stage and all they need is this opportunity.




Did you find your voice?

Ultimately, yes. It may sound like a simple task, however the true journey of finding your voice will not always be what you expect it to be. There is no orchestral chorus that begins in your brain, no light bulb moment, nothing at all grand. Mine came in the form of a simple flick of a switch in my head. Whilst flooding my notebook with scribbles during one of the professional sessions, I suddenly had a clearer view of what I wanted to do and how I wanted to be successful. I realised quite quickly that I want to make people think. I want to make people uncomfortable. I want to make people talk.

 

Do you hope to work in the theatre in the future? In what capacity?

Thinking towards the future, I have a deep rooted belief and determination that I will always be involved in the theatre and the arts in some way. I’m only beginning to truly explore who I am and my future aspirations, so it would be impossible to decide right now. I would love to work with more industry professionals and advance my knowledge further, allowing me to successfully enter a full time job in a theatrical setting whether it be on or off stage.


Is there anyone in particular you would like to thank?

I couldn’t possibly narrow it down. Everyone who was involved in the programmes – my fellow playwrights, any organisations who took an interest and the professional playwrights themselves – deserve a lifelong standing ovation. The work they have done during this programme is admirable and has benefited all young people involved. I would like to thank Ali, the director of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme, especially for her relentless efforts to keep each of us young playwrights on top of the changing circumstances and assist us through this learning curve. Thank you so much.


What advice would you give to someone considering joining the Young Playwrights Programme in the future?

Consider no more! Push yourself outside of your comfort zone and jump into the deep end. It may sound scary, but I assure you it will evolve not only your skills and qualities but your experience and respect for any playwrights out there. It has been a truly amazing experience in which I feel honoured to be a part of.

 

Images courtesy of Jill Watson

Interview by Claire Watts 

Comments

Popular Posts