An Escape Through Theatre


The only playwrighting, I have done thus far, is what we did in the beginning of secondary school in our drama class. I applied to the young playwright’s programme because I’m interested in theatre, generally, mainly in acting but I want to try something that I haven’t had the chance to explore properly. Being involved in this programme means I will be able to write a piece of theatre from the beginning to the end, something that I haven’t done properly before. I hope I will be able to develop it in many ways, and get to work with people I otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity to; and I will also have a play that I have written performed to a real audience this makes me so excited, as I already have a couple of ideas and over the months, I’m sure I will have many more. I’m also looking forward to attending workshops to get new ideas and to learn more about writing a play from different playwright’s perspectives.

Over the years, I have seen some plays and many musicals, my favourite was Heathers because it had many themes and issues (some very serious) that relate to my age group, it was also comedic, and really entertaining.

Heathers: The Musical tells of Veronica Sawyer, a high school student trying to find her identity.

At first, she cosies up to the popular kids in school - three girls who are all named Heather – but Veronica soon discovers that she not only doesn’t fit in with them, she doesn’t particularly like them either.  

She finds herself attracted to the rebellious outsider J.D. and the two characters get themselves caught up in an exciting web of violence.

Veronica manages to impress the Heathers with her forgery skills, and in return she gets to sit at their lunch table this raises her status and makes her look more like a trophy rather than a person.

The story moves to Veronica and JD’s relationship, Veronica wants to get revenge on Heather Chandler but it’s JD who takes control and kills her, making it look like a suicide.

This leads to other characters attempting to take their lives so that they can be considered cool and trendy.

This is something that has happened not only in the production but also in real life so a lot of people can relate to it, but they may not have understood why before now. 

I like the idea of making a play that everyone can relate to. I like the idea that people can interpret a story in different way, so no one message can be taken away and that each person has a different perspective. I enjoy comedies personally, it’s a chance for me to step back from the stress I create for myself. I’m a worrier and I watch comedies because it takes my mind away from things that aren’t that important and that I shouldn’t be panicking about. I just like to have a laugh and a comedy gives me the breather that I sometimes forget to give myself. So maybe I’ll write a comedy or perhaps I’ll end up writing a tragedy and surprise everyone, especially myself.

Rachel Anderson

Rachel is part of the Bunbury Banter Young Playwrights Programme 2019-2020


Comments

Popular Posts